• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

John Kirby dodges grilling over plea agreement for 9/11 terrorists: ‘Didn’t hear an answer’

by August 4, 2024
written by August 4, 2024

White House National Security Council communications adviser John Kirby on Sunday dodged answering questions regarding the abrupt plea deal reversal provided to a trio of 9/11 terrorists last week. 

‘Is the president willing to let these terrorists escape the harshest penalty in the system of justice and let that be part of his legacy?’ Fox News’ Jacqui Heinrich asked Kirby during an interview on ‘Fox News Sunday.’

‘Again, this was a decision made by a convening authority in the military chain of command, an independent convening authority,’ Kirby responded. 

‘He didn’t weigh in at all?’ Heinrich pressed. 

‘The secretary of defense has the authority to change the delegation of that – of that authority to the convening authority,’ Kirby continued. ‘I know that sounds kind of complicated, but he has the authority to do that. He did this on his own.’

‘But did the president weigh in?’ Heinrich asked again. 

‘This was a decision made by the secretary of defense,’ Kirby said, sparking Heinrich to say that she ‘didn’t hear an answer.’

The Department of Defense announced last week the Convening Authority for Military Commissions entered into pretrial agreements with Khalid Shaikh Mohammad, Walid Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin ‘Attash, and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi. The agreement included taking the death penalty off of the table for the three 9/11 plotters. 

As outrage mounted over the agreement, the White House said Biden did not play a role in the deal. 

‘The White House learned yesterday that the Convening Authority for Military Commissions entered into pretrial agreements, negotiated by military prosecutors, with KSM and other 9/11 defendants,’ a White House National Security Council spokesperson told Fox News Digital. ‘The President and the White House played no role in this process. The President has directed his team to consult as appropriate with officials and lawyers at the Department of Defense on this matter.’ 

Biden has also rejected a proposal last year that would have spared the three suspects from the death penalty.

After the news broke, the Defense Department abruptly backtracked on the agreement on Friday. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has now taken the lead on the case. 

‘Effective immediately, in the exercise of my authority, I hereby withdraw from the three pretrial agreements that you signed on July 31, 2024,’ the letter from the secretary reads. 

No explanation was offered as to why the matter was not settled before the deals were concluded and publicly announced. 

Heinrich pressed Kirby whether Biden asked Austin to rescind the deals to the trio of terrorists, to which the White House spokesman responded that Austin made an ‘independent decision.’ 

‘This was a decision made by the secretary of defense. It was an independent decision by him, certainly within his authorities, as in the chain of command at the Defense Department,’ Kirby responded. 

On Sunday, Kirby also addressed ongoing efforts to broker a cease-fire in Israel as war continues raging since Oct. 7, when Hamas launched an attack that killed more than 1,200 and led to the kidnapping of hundreds more.

‘Number one, we still believe a cease-fire deal is the best way to bring this war to an end. It’s also, we believe, very possible. We still believe the gaps are narrow enough to close,’ Kirby said. 

‘The other thing that we’ve been doing since the 7th of October is making sure that not only Israel has what it needs to defend itself, but that this war doesn’t escalate to become something broader, a regional war, a regional conflict. And that’s what you’re seeing us do.’

Concern has grown, however, that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu does not want a cease-fire. On CNN’s ‘State of the Union,’ deputy national security adviser Jonathan Finer said he could not weigh in on Biden’s private discussions with Netanyahu about a cease-fire deal, while noting that the two world leaders have a candid and long-established relationship. 

‘I won’t speak to the private conversations that take place between the president and the prime minister. What I will say is these are two people who have a four-decade-plus relationship. One of the extraordinary assets in the US-Israel relationship is this personal relationship between these two leaders in which they can speak to each other directly and candidly. That’s been the case since President Biden came to office, it’s certainly been the case since Oct. 7,’ Finer said when asked about Netanyahu potentially avoiding a cease-fire deal. 

‘The United States has been extremely clear, both publicly and privately, about how urgent we think it is that the cease-fire and hostage deal be established. Nothing that’s taken place over the last week or two has changed that sense of urgency, and if anything, part of why we believe this needs to happen as quickly as possible is because in the Middle East, at a time in which there are hostilities taking place, outside factors can infect and disrupt these talks. And so we don’t want to allow that to happen.’ 

Fox News Digital’s Stepheny Price contributed to this article. 

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Kamala Harris faces crucial week ahead in 2024 presidential showdown with Donald Trump
next post
Biden to meet with national security team ahead of anticipated Iranian attack against Israel

related articles

GOP warns Democrats using DHS shutdown to stall...

February 18, 2026

Ukraine makes fastest gains in years as Russia...

February 18, 2026

Ex-Victoria’s Secret CEO tells House investigators he was...

February 18, 2026

Former Rep MTG asserts that Americans don’t want...

February 18, 2026

House GOP moves to cement Trump energy agenda...

February 18, 2026

Mysterious 2020 explosion in China had hallmarks of...

February 18, 2026

Why DOJ is caught up in two dozen...

February 18, 2026

Vance, Harris, Obama issue tributes to Rev Jesse...

February 18, 2026

Billionaire Victoria’s Secret mogul Les Wexner to testify...

February 18, 2026

US moves to expand missiles in Philippines, putting...

February 18, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • BNB Chain faces $1.64 billion in losses from hacks and rug pulls, report reveals

    July 11, 2024
  • Vance rips Harris in battleground Georgia: ‘Stop telling Americans they’re bad’ for wanting ‘secure border’

    October 26, 2024
  • House Republicans face down Dem attacks, protests to pull all-nighter on Trump’s ‘big, beautiful bill’

    May 14, 2025
  • Biden makes bizarre call in to Harris headquarters hours after dropping out of race

    July 23, 2024
  • House GOP campaign chair makes prediction for 2026 midterms: ‘Going to be on offense’

    December 19, 2024

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (7,973)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (976)

Latest Posts

  • Less than half of DOGE-terminated contracts can be publicly tracked, only about a quarter of grants: watchdog

    May 29, 2025
  • Vance calls Walz ‘a joke,’ claims Minnesota governor enabled massive fraud

    January 8, 2026
  • House GOP launches probe into alleged climate group influence on federal judges

    January 14, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Trump admin scores legal win in $16B climate fight as federal appeals court lifts block on grant terminations

    September 2, 2025
  • Trump continues to defend Qatar gifting US $400M jet: ‘We should have the most impressive plane’

    May 14, 2025
  • Controversial defense program tied to DEI-laden contractor could be in crosshairs of DOGE: ‘Poster child’

    April 17, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • Barrett eviscerates Jackson, Sotomayor takes on a ‘complicit’ court in contentious final opinions

    June 27, 2025
  • Netflix secures U.S. rights to the FIFA Women’s World Cup in 2027, 2031

    December 22, 2024
  • Judge temporarily blocks Trump order ending collective bargaining rights for most federal workers

    April 26, 2025
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock