• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Mike Johnson faces conservative mutiny over Trump-backed plan to avert government shutdown

by September 10, 2024
written by September 10, 2024

House GOP leaders’ plan to avert a partial government shutdown at the end of this month could be derailed by mounting opposition from fiscal hawks within their own party.

Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., rolled out legislation late last week to extend the current year’s government funding levels through March via a continuing resolution (CR) to give congressional negotiators more time to work out the next fiscal year’s spending priorities.

It’s attached to a Republican-led bill for a proof of citizenship requirement in the voter registration process.

At least five House Republicans have come out against the plan as of Monday evening, meaning Johnson almost certainly needs Democratic votes to get it passed.

Despite former President Donald Trump blessing the plan, Johnson can afford little room for error with a razor-thin House majority of just four votes.

Rep. Cory Mills, R-Fla., told reporters on Monday that he and Reps. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., and Thomas Massie, R-Ky., are all opposed.

‘I’ve made it clear…that I’ll be a no on the CR,’ Mills said. ‘As far as I’m concerned, this is nothing more than messaging.’

Fox News Digital reached out to Burchett to confirm his stance.

Massie told Fox News Digital last week that he believed it was a mistake for Johnson not to push for a longer CR. Under a bipartisan deal passed last year, a CR extending past April 30 would automatically trigger a 1% government funding cut.

‘Speaker Johnson has this teed up in front of him. The 1% cut is in law. All we need is a one-year CR to queue it up. When the April 30 deadline arrives, he could even trade the cut for something. But he’s afraid to even create a spending cut deadline,’ Massie said.

Rep. Matt Rosendale, R-Mont., who is retiring at the end of this year, also told Fox News Digital last week that he is against the bill.

Meanwhile, House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Ala., told Punchbowl News he was against the CR over concerns within the defense community about the impact of an extension into the new year. 

It has spurred concern and confusion among House Republicans just hours after they returned from a six-week recess.

‘I think we ought to have some conversation with those five,’ Rep. Dan Bishop, R-N.C., a conservative Republican, told Fox News Digital of the plan’s opponents. ‘And I think those five ought to bear responsibility for blowing some opportunities that are right at hand.’

Meanwhile, Rep. Mike Garcia, R-Calif., a national security hawk in a swing district, said he wanted to hear whether Johnson had a backup plan.

‘I think it’s a good first position. I think, you know, the question is, [what is] position two? Position three look like?’ Garcia told reporters. ‘We don’t need to share that with you guys in the media right now. But we should internally [have an] understanding of the strategy. And I think… hopefully we get more clarity on that.’

Lawmakers anticipate a Wednesday vote on the plan, but enough opposition could force House GOP leaders to scuttle the vote.

It’s possible that some Democrats will vote for the bill. Five House Democrats voted with Republicans to pass the Safeguarding American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act earlier this year.

But Democratic leaders in the House and Senate have both come out in opposition to the plan. The White House also announced Monday that President Biden would veto the bill if it got to his desk.

Johnson told reporters earlier in the day that he did not have a fallback plan in case of failure.

‘There is no fallback position. This is a righteous fight. This is what the American people demand and deserve,’ Johnson said.

It’s a position that is likely to worry moderates who worry the political fallout from a government shutdown weeks before Election Day could cost them their seats.

‘If we shut down, we lose,’ one Republican told Fox News Digital last week.

Fox News Digital reached out to Johnson for comment on the ‘no’ votes.

Fox News’ Tyler Olson contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
White House pushes back against scathing report on Biden’s withdrawal from Afghanistan
next post
McCaul says he will hold Blinken in contempt after State Department shrugs off his demands for testimony

related articles

Why a credit freeze isn’t the end of...

February 21, 2026

Trump torches ‘stupid’ AOC’s Munich showing, tees up...

February 21, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: To burnish Trump’s legacy, we need...

February 21, 2026

BROADCAST BIAS: Idea of giving politicians equal time...

February 21, 2026

Israelis keep suitcases packed and ready as Trump...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions, and advocates say...

February 21, 2026

CIA retracts, revises 19 past intelligence assessments deemed...

February 21, 2026

Trump signs off on 10% global tariff, criticizes...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions as advocates say...

February 21, 2026

RFK Jr defends Trump move to protect pesticide...

February 20, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • Former Iranian prisoners reveal torture horrors as regime kills protesters on sight during crackdown

    January 17, 2026
  • Trump announces US-India trade deal, tariffs reduced to 18%

    February 2, 2026
  • Bondi says Epstein client list ‘sitting on my desk right now,’ and is reviewing JFK, MLK files

    February 21, 2025
  • Trump budget bill extending first-term tax cuts survives House vote

    February 26, 2025
  • ‘It took 3,000 years’: Trump heralds ‘golden age of the Middle East’ in speeches to Arab leaders, Israel

    October 13, 2025

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (8,023)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (979)

Latest Posts

  • At UN Security Council, Israel’s ambassador slams Iranian hypocrisy

    June 22, 2025
  • Two trans inmates ordered back to women’s prisons in Reagan-appointed judge’s injunction

    March 28, 2025
  • Republicans, health experts push back on Democrats’ Medicaid ‘scare tactics’

    November 14, 2025

Recent Posts

  • Trump pressed on whether he ordered DOJ to target James Comey, John Bolton, Letitia James

    November 3, 2025
  • How Donald Trump’s inauguration could drive Bitcoin price this month

    January 6, 2025
  • ‘Taking it back’: Internal House GOP memo outlines case for Trump to buy Panama Canal

    January 30, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • CAVA Stock Price: News and Price Forecast 2025

    September 2, 2024
  • Netflix says its ad tier now has 94 million monthly active users

    May 15, 2025
  • Interview: Most central banks, especially the Fed, get interest rates wrong, says Jim Rogers

    August 8, 2024
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock