• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

SCOTUS rules on nearly $2B in frozen USAID payments

by March 5, 2025
written by March 5, 2025

The Supreme Court on Wednesday denied the Trump administration’s request to block a lower court’s order for the administration to pay nearly $2 billion in foreign aid money, delivering a near-term reprieve to international aid groups and contractors seeking payment for previously completed projects.

In a 5-4 ruling, the justices said that the Feb. 26 deadline imposed by a lower court for the Trump administration to pay the funds had already expired and directed the case back to the district court to clarify any additional details on payment.

‘Given that the deadline in the challenged order has now passed, and in light of the ongoing preliminary injunction proceedings, the District Court should clarify what obligations the Government must fulfill to ensure compliance with the temporary restraining order, with due regard for the feasibility of any compliance timelines,’ the Court said.

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh dissented.

‘Does a single district-court judge who likely lacks jurisdiction have the unchecked power to compel the Government of the United States to pay out (and probably lose forever) 2 billion taxpayer dollars? The answer to that question should be an emphatic ‘No,’ but a majority of this Court apparently thinks otherwise,’ Alito wrote. ‘I am stunned.’

Chief Justice John Roberts agreed last Wednesday to temporarily pause a lower court’s decision requiring the Trump administration to pay by 11:59 p.m. all outstanding invoices to foreign aid groups, an amount totaling roughly $1.9 billion – a timeline the Justice Department had argued was ‘impossible’ to comply with. Roberts did not give a reason for agreeing to pause the order issued by U.S. District Judge Amir Ali, a Biden appointee, though the chief justice had widely been expected to refer the matter to the full court for review.

Still, the decision to send the case back to the lower court to hash out what, exactly, must be paid out by the Trump administration – and when – could allow Trump officials to further stall on repayment.

Foreign aid groups had argued last week that Roberts’ pause prevented them from filing a motion of civil contempt against the Trump administration, a legal maneuver that employees from the affected groups said in interviews this week could have expedited their process to claw back the unpaid debt.

At issue is how quickly the Trump administration needs to pay the nearly $2 billion owed to aid groups and contractors for completed projects funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), at a time when the administration has issued a blanket freeze on all foreign spending in the name of government ‘efficiency’ and eliminating waste.

In a new court filing Monday, Acting U.S. Solicitor General Sarah Harris said that while the plaintiffs’ claims were likely ‘legitimate,’ the time U.S. District Judge Amir Ali gave them to pay the outstanding invoices was ‘not logistically or technically feasible.’

Harris also argued Monday that the order could be a violation of executive branch authorities granted by the Constitution to an elected president.

Ordering the Trump administration to make payments on a timeline of the lower court’s choosing, and ‘without regard to whether the requests are legitimate, or even due yet,’ Harris said, ‘intrudes on the president’s foreign affairs powers’ and executive branch oversight when it comes to distributing foreign aid.

Plaintiffs, for their part, rejected that notion in full. They argued in their own Supreme Court filing that the lower court judge had ordered the Trump administration to begin making the owed foreign aid payments more than two weeks ago – a deadline they said the government simply failed to meet, or to even take steps to meet – indicating that the administration had no plans to make good on fulfilling that request.

The Trump administration ‘never took steps towards compliance’ with Judge Ali’s order requiring the administration to unfreeze the federal funds to pay the $1.9 billion in owed project payments, attorneys for plaintiffs argued in their own Supreme Court filing. 

They also rejected the administration’s assertion in court last week that it would need ‘multiple weeks’ to restart the payment system.

Rather, they said, the Trump administration had moved too quickly to dismantle the systems required to send payments to foreign aid groups in the first place— and to purge the many USAID staffers who could have facilitated a smoother, faster repayment process.

‘All of these invoices have already been approved by the front-line managers at USAID, and it’s really these payment bottlenecks that the government has itself created’ that have caused the problems with repayment, one individual with knowledge of the USAID payments and contractors affected told Fox News Digital in an interview.

The high court challenge comes as many of the foreign aid groups who sued the administration earlier this year have already been stripped of the bulk of their funding. This aligns with President Donald Trump’s stated plans to cut some 90% of USAID foreign aid contracts and to slash an additional $60 billion in foreign aid spending.

The White House has not yet released a list of which contracts and grants were scheduled for elimination or those to be continued. However, critics have argued that the abrupt withdrawal of U.S. investment and presence around the world risks economic harm, reputational damage and new security risks, both at home and abroad.

Scott Greytak, a director at the group U.S. Transparency International, said in a statement that cutting such a large amount of U.S. foreign aid carries significant economic and security risks. The elimination of U.S. funding for certain projects, especially in countries with higher risks of corruption, could ‘open the door for increased cross-border corruption, fraud, and other crimes,’ he said. 

This could create new obstacles for U.S. businesses seeking to open or expand into foreign markets, said Greytak, whose group has active chapters in more than 100 countries globally, and could serve ‘as an invitation for U.S. competitors, especially China, to fill the vacuum created by the absence of U.S. engagement.’

This is a breaking news story. Check back soon for updates.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Trump could scale back Canada, Mexico tariffs Wednesday, Lutnick says
next post
Internal State Dept memo reveals top brass question if feds should be ‘in the business of philanthropy’

related articles

Why a credit freeze isn’t the end of...

February 21, 2026

Trump torches ‘stupid’ AOC’s Munich showing, tees up...

February 21, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: To burnish Trump’s legacy, we need...

February 21, 2026

BROADCAST BIAS: Idea of giving politicians equal time...

February 21, 2026

Israelis keep suitcases packed and ready as Trump...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions, and advocates say...

February 21, 2026

CIA retracts, revises 19 past intelligence assessments deemed...

February 21, 2026

Trump signs off on 10% global tariff, criticizes...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions as advocates say...

February 21, 2026

RFK Jr defends Trump move to protect pesticide...

February 20, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • World Economic Forum boots Iranian foreign minister from Davos summit amid deadly crackdown on protesters

    January 19, 2026
  • Government’s ‘Pansexual and Panromantic Pride Day’ post sparks backlash: ‘Glad this type of bulls— will end’

    December 9, 2024
  • Israeli hostages freed, Iran hit, ceasefire held — 2025 shattered idea that US was exiting the Middle East

    December 23, 2025
  • McDonald’s preparing a 2025 ‘McValue’ offering

    November 21, 2024
  • Law enforcement brace as anti-Israel groups vow to bring tens of thousands of protesters to DNC in Chicago

    August 15, 2024

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (8,023)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (979)

Latest Posts

  • Trump brushes back Russia’s Medvedev after ‘war’ warning: ‘Watch his words’

    July 31, 2025
  • Trump’s week ahead will include a trip to The Hague to meet with NATO leaders as Iran crisis grows larger

    June 23, 2025
  • India launches strikes on terrorist camps in Pakistan

    May 6, 2025

Recent Posts

  • Walmart says it’s ‘not going to be completely immune’ from Trump’s tariffs

    February 20, 2025
  • Trump confirms Mike Waltz as National Security Adviser pick

    November 12, 2024
  • Marjorie Taylor Greene says she will vote ‘NO’ on proposed NDAA, blasts foreign aid spending

    December 9, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • Restaurant chain Hooters files for bankruptcy protection to enable founder-led buyout

    April 1, 2025
  • Durbin calls on DOJ to investigate anonymous pizza deliveries to judges’ homes

    May 7, 2025
  • Trump softens Gaza stance, says Palestinians will not be expelled from the war-torn territory

    March 13, 2025
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock