• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Controversial defense program tied to DEI-laden contractor could be in crosshairs of DOGE: ‘Poster child’

by April 17, 2025
written by April 17, 2025

One of the top defense contractors in the United States, which has a history of pushing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), is facing heat over a massive government contract that critics say should be a prime target for Elon Musk’s DOGE efforts. 

The Air Force’s Sentinel program, a massive intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) project serving as the successor to the Minuteman III program ensuring the future viability of the land-based leg of America’s nuclear triad, has been mired in controversy and slowdowns as Northrop Grumman was awarded the development contract and the endeavor has gone from a $96 billion program to at least $141 billion in recent years. 

The Pentagon ordered Northrop Grumman to pause development earlier this year due to ‘evolving launch facility requirements’, Defense One reported. Air & Space Forces Magazine reported last year that the intercontinental ballistic missile program survived a Pentagon review, but it was found that the cost overrun jumped from 37% to 81%.

Northrop Grumman, which had not previously designed an ICBM, was awarded a $13 billion contract in September 2020 for full-scale development of the program to replace the Minuteman III, and the Pentagon has estimated that the total cost of developing its new ICBM program could cost up to $264 billion over the next few decades, Bloomberg reported.

The awarding of the contract was controversial in its own right, after Boeing dropped out of the bidding, claiming that the process was rigged against it, Responsible Statecraft reported. 

‘The massive expansion of costs for Northrop Grumman’s Minuteman III program is the case example for why poorly-scoped, blank check programs are a bad idea,’ a senior Republican Congressional official who works on defense policy told Fox News Digital. 

‘This is bad for national security, bad for taxpayers, and Republicans will fix this mess that Biden’s team created,’ the official added.

Questions have also been raised by some in recent years about whether the Sentinel program is even necessary, including at a Congressional Nuclear Weapons and Arms Control Working Group press conference last year, when former Democratic Congressman John Tierney said that Sentinel ‘does not add to our security’ and could ‘actually make us less safe.’

‘When will the blank checks to cover spiraling costs end?’ Tierney said. ‘The Sentinel ICBM program is just the latest in a long list of Pentagon programs that are over budget, behind schedule and of questionable utility.’

Tierney added that he believes the ‘only value’ of recent ICBM development is ‘to the defense contractors who line their fat pockets with large cost overruns at the expense of our taxpayers.’

‘It has got to stop,’ he said. 

An Air Force spokesperson told Fox News Digital that it is taking ‘deliberate’ steps to ensure that the Sentinel program is running as cost-efficiently as possible while enhancing oversight at the same time. ‘We continue to advance the engineering design and maturity of the program with Northrop Grumman, working closely with the company to drive down costs and improve schedule performance,’ the spokesperson added.

The Air Force also pointed to a previous comment from Gen. David Allvin, Air Force chief of staff, during a symposium in March that stressed the importance of the Sentinel program.

‘We own two-thirds of the triad and three-fourths of the nuclear command and control of communications,’ Allvin said. ‘We own the nuclear deterrence. So more Air Force means more nuclear deterrence…We have to have the most reliable, the most safe, the most effective nuclear deterrent. That means sentinel, yes…I believe we need more nuclear deterrence for our nation. It’s a solemn responsibility. It’s not an option.’

Amid the cost overruns and headaches from the ICBM program, Northrop Grumman adopted and promoted an agenda focused on DEI in recent years and was one of several defense contractors that have attempted to scrub their websites of DEI in the wake of the Trump administration’s pledge to rid the government of the ideology. 

Northrop Grumman’s 2023 annual report mentions DEI as ‘vital to our culture and our company’s success. Our ability to leverage the power of our diverse workforce enhances employee engagement and enables us to innovate, perform and deliver on quality, which results in value for our shareholders, customers, and employees.’

The report also touted its minority hiring practices and stated that 25% of its employees are female, 37% people of color, 18% veterans and 8% people with disabilities. 

‘Diversity Has a Home at Northrop Grumman,’ a YouTube video from ClearanceJobs says in a post that features Northrop Grumman employees discussing the diversity of the company. 

‘Northrop’s Sentinel Program is a DOGE poster child,’ a person close to the Trump administration told Fox News Digital. ‘Not only did they practice DEI, the program is ineffective, delayed, and wasting billions of taxpayer money. Musk would have a field day.’

DOGE’s cost-cutting efforts have affected essentially every area of government, including the Defense Department, which recently announced that over $580 million worth of contracts have been canceled as Democrats continue to blast the efforts and make the case that DOGE cuts are detrimental to the country.  

‘I’ve seen it with my own eyes, billions of dollars spent on pricey consulting firms, grants and NGO‘s—the self-serving bureaucrats in Washington DC have found a million different ways to rip-off the American taxpayer,’ special advisor to the United States Agency for Global Media Kari Lake told Fox News Digital. 

‘I’m working very closely with DOGE at the agency President Trump asked me to oversee. Our DOGE team is not political, they are practical. They know that it’s not practical for the U.S. government to continue spending the way it has been. Our country won’t survive unless we cut back right now, and the hard-working men and women across this country support that.’

In a statement to Fox News Digital, a spokesperson for Northrop Grumman touted recent progress in the program.

‘We continue to make substantial progress on the Sentinel Weapon System,’ the spokesperson said. ‘On March 6, we completed the missile’s stage one static fire test, the latest of many test events that validate the rocket motor’s performance and digital design. We continue to mature the design and reduce risk as we prepare for production and deployment of this essential national security capability.’

Regarding DEI, the spokesperson said, ‘We have reviewed our policies and processes and continue to take the steps necessary to ensure compliance with the orders for the work entrusted to us. Northrop Grumman is committed to our customers’ missions, delivering technologies they need to deter threats, prevail in conflicts, and strengthen national security. Underpinned by our values, we hire, promote, and pay based on merit and performance resulting in the best team to deliver for our customers.’

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Top health official accuses RFK Jr’s agency of ‘censorship’
next post
Israeli troops will remain in Gaza buffer zones indefinitely, Defense Minister Katz says

related articles

Why a credit freeze isn’t the end of...

February 21, 2026

Trump torches ‘stupid’ AOC’s Munich showing, tees up...

February 21, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: To burnish Trump’s legacy, we need...

February 21, 2026

BROADCAST BIAS: Idea of giving politicians equal time...

February 21, 2026

Israelis keep suitcases packed and ready as Trump...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions, and advocates say...

February 21, 2026

CIA retracts, revises 19 past intelligence assessments deemed...

February 21, 2026

Trump signs off on 10% global tariff, criticizes...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions as advocates say...

February 21, 2026

RFK Jr defends Trump move to protect pesticide...

February 20, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • Is it worth buying FuelCell Energy stock into the post-earnings strength?

    December 19, 2025
  • Biden administration to announce $725M weapons package to Ukraine months before Trump is sworn in

    December 2, 2024
  • Thune, GOP reject pushing ‘rifle-shot’ government funding bills during shutdown

    October 30, 2025
  • Trump will be ‘very active on the campaign trail’ in 2026 midterms, Republican Party chair predicts

    December 24, 2024
  • Anti-Trump ex-husband of president’s 2016 campaign manager launches congressional bid as Democrat

    December 22, 2025

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (8,023)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (979)

Latest Posts

  • Markets are counting on the Fed to head off recession with sizable interest rate cuts

    August 8, 2024
  • US stocks open in the red: S&P down 0.5%, Nasdaq slips around 1%

    January 15, 2026
  • US stocks open in the red: S&P 500 slips 0.3%, Dow downs 140 points

    February 2, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Jordan remains ‘last holdout’ as Iran looks to create new ‘terror front’ on Israeli border

    August 13, 2024
  • Hakeem Jeffries says he’s ‘prepared to find common ground’ with Trump next year

    December 11, 2024
  • CrowdStrike losses may be biggest test yet of cybersecurity insurance risk warning from Warren Buffett

    July 25, 2024

Editor’s Pick

  • US midday market brief: AI stocks stumble as Microsoft drama hits, but Dow powers ahead

    December 4, 2025
  • Grassley rebukes Trump’s pressure to ‘have the courage’ to speed up nominations

    July 30, 2025
  • Morning brief: markets rebound after Trump retreats, Gold pulls back

    January 22, 2026
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock