• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Hegseth orders Pentagon to launch comprehensive review into ‘catastrophic’ 2021 Afghanistan withdrawal

by May 20, 2025
written by May 20, 2025

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth is instructing the Pentagon to launch a comprehensive review into the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan in 2021. 

In 2021, then-President Joe Biden removed U.S. troops from Afghanistan, following up on existing plans from the first Trump administration in 2020 with Taliban leaders to end the war in the region. Biden faced scrutiny after the withdrawal as the Taliban quickly took over Afghanistan again and more than a dozen U.S. service members died supporting evacuation efforts. 

Thirteen U.S. service members were killed during the withdrawal process due to a suicide bombing at Abbey Gate, outside the then-Hamid Karzai International Airport, as the Taliban quickly seized control of Kabul.

‘The Department of Defense has an obligation, both to the American people and to the warfighters who sacrificed their youth in Afghanistan, to get to the facts,’ Hegseth said in a Tuesday memo. ‘This remains an important step toward regaining faith and trust with the American people and all those who wear the uniform and is prudent based on the number of casualties and equipment lost during the execution of this withdrawal operation.’ 

Hegseth said the Pentagon has already completed a review into the ‘catastrophic’ withdrawal and concluded that a full investigation is necessary to provide a complete picture of the event and to hold those responsible accountable. 

As a result, Hegseth is directing Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell to spearhead a special review panel to evaluate previous investigations and to ‘analyze the decision-making that led to one of America’s darkest and deadliest international moments.’ 

‘This team will ensure ACCOUNTABILITY to the American people and the warfighters of our great Nation,’ Hegseth wrote in the memo. 

On Aug. 26, 2021, an ISIS-K suicide bomber who the Taliban released earlier that month detonated his body-worn improvised explosive device at Abbey Gate outside Kabul’s airport, according to a U.S. Army Central Command investigation released in 2024. In addition to the 13 U.S. service members who were killed, approximately 170 Afghan civilians also died.

The Biden administration’s White House released a report in 2023 evaluating the Afghanistan withdrawal, which stated that top intelligence officials did not accurately assess how quickly the Taliban would retake control of Kabul. 

Republicans on the House Foreign Affairs Committee conducted their own investigation into the withdrawal, and the U.S. military produced at least two reports on the matter. 

The Biden administration ‘prioritized the optics of the withdrawal over the security of U.S. personnel on the ground,’ according to the House Foreign Affairs Committee report. 

‘For that reason, they failed to plan for all contingencies, including a noncombatant evacuation operation (NEO) and refused to order a NEO until after the Taliban had already entered Kabul,’ the report said.

Additionally, the report said the ‘failure’ to adequately establish evacuation plans led to an unsafe environment at the airport and put the lives of service members and State Department officials at risk. 

In February, Trump told reporters that he wouldn’t instruct Hegseth on what actions the Pentagon should take when asked if he was considering firing military leaders who oversaw the withdrawal. But Trump said he would ‘fire every single one of them.’ 

The commander of U.S. Central Command in 2021, retired Marine Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., in 2024 took full ownership of the loss of U.S. troops that day. 

‘I was the overall commander, and I and I alone bear full military responsibility for what happened at Abbey Gate,’ McKenzie told the House Foreign Affairs Committee in March 2024.

Now-retired Army Gen. Mark Milley, the former chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told lawmakers at the same hearing that he believed the evacuation should have occurred sooner and that multiple factors contributed to failures in the withdrawal. Both McKenzie and Milley told lawmakers they advised Biden to keep some U.S. troops in Afghanistan after pulling out most U.S. forces.

‘The outcome in Afghanistan was the result of many decisions from many years of war,’ Milley told lawmakers. ‘Like any complex phenomena, there was no single causal factor that determined the outcome.’

Fox News’ Liz Friden contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
GOP holdouts unmoved by Trump’s ‘big, beautiful’ trip to Capitol Hill
next post
Trump, Hegseth announce ‘Golden Dome,’ a ‘game changer’ to protect American homeland

related articles

DHS scorches Pritzker’s ‘sanctuary’ state after child rapist...

May 1, 2026

Socialist mayor’s blunt 1-word message to fleeing millionaires...

May 1, 2026

DC police captain cites bodycam footage of officers...

May 1, 2026

Amazon explores ‘The Apprentice’ reboot with Trump Jr...

May 1, 2026

MN governor race to replace Walz sees major...

May 1, 2026

Trump’s apocalyptic Iran warning raises stakes for sweeping...

April 7, 2026

Graham eyes ‘down payment’ on Trump-backed SAVE Act...

April 7, 2026

Democrat whose parents fled Iran moves to oust...

April 7, 2026

Midterm alarm bells: Democrats face steep favorability deficit...

April 7, 2026

American journalist kidnapped in Iraq is set free,...

April 7, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • FTSE 100 Index soared to a record high thanks to these stocks

    February 23, 2026
  • President-elect Trump to meet Biden in Oval Office Wednesday

    November 9, 2024
  • Johnson pushes ‘aggressive’ timetable for House to pass Trump’s budget bill after GOP mutiny: ‘We cannot fail’

    May 18, 2025
  • Fox reveals plans to launch subscription streaming service this year

    February 5, 2025
  • Trump directs Secret Service to give him ‘every bit of information’ about his attempted assassins: report

    February 9, 2025

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    CoreWeave eyes $1.5B bond raise to ease debt load following lacklustre IPO: report

    May 9, 2025
  • 5

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (8,507)
  • Investing (2,573)
  • Stock (1,028)

Latest Posts

  • Argentine President Milei faces impeachment calls for promoting cryptocurrency that tanked

    February 19, 2025
  • Federal judge appointed by Trump quits group over statement on threats

    March 12, 2025
  • Trump flips ‘I’m talking’ script from 2020 debate against Kamala Harris during presidential debate showdown

    September 11, 2024

Recent Posts

  • President Trump can stop Iran’s march to nuclear weapons: ‘re-establish credible military threat’, report says

    February 19, 2025
  • From cease-fire push to boots on the ground in Israel: US seemingly accepts involvement in escalating war

    October 15, 2024
  • Oklo stock jumps as Nvidia AI deal fuels nuclear energy push

    April 23, 2026

Editor’s Pick

  • Dow Jones slips 40 points, S&P gains as ceasefire hopes lift stocks

    April 10, 2026
  • Polymarket takes crypto offline with free grocery store push in New York City

    February 4, 2026
  • Figma stock price just double-bottomed: will it surge after earnings?

    May 13, 2026
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock