• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Trump unleashes US military power on cartels. Is a wider war looming?

by September 24, 2025
written by September 24, 2025

President Donald Trump is spearheading a military buildup in the Caribbean — already signing off on a series of U.S. military strikes against alleged drug vessels from Venezuela. 

So far, the Trump administration has conducted at least three deadly strikes against alleged drug smuggling boats, prompting some lawmakers in Congress to question the legality of these strikes and request additional oversight. 

The strikes are the latest escalation from the Trump administration as it moves to crack down on drug cartels and the influx of illicit drugs into the U.S., and comes after the administration designated drug cartel groups like Tren de Aragua, the Sinaloa Cartel and others as foreign terrorist organizations in February.

Building up naval forces in the Caribbean gives the U.S. the capacity to not only conduct such strikes in international waters near Venezuela, but also within Venezuela itself, according to Geoff Ramsey, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council international affairs think tank. 

In August, Trump approved sending several U.S. Navy guided missile destroyers to bolster the administration’s counter-narcotics efforts in the region.

‘Whether we see more consequential strikes will depend more on political calculations in Washington than on operational capability,’ Ramsey said in a Wednesday email to Fox News Digital. ‘The administration could use the strikes as occasional shows of force, or it could escalate into a more systematic campaign, but the risk of doing so would be that we could destabilize Venezuela and spark an internal armed conflict with no clear end game.’ 

Ramsey said that the strikes come with a ‘real risk of escalation,’ and said that Venezuela views them as violations of sovereignty. Additionally, attacks inside Venezuelan territory could ignite a ‘cycle of retaliation,’ he said. 

‘That would raise the prospect of a wider confrontation between the U.S. and Venezuelan forces, which could potentially end up sparking an internal armed conflict in the South American country, which could destabilize the region,’ Ramsey said. ‘So far President Trump seems aware of these risks, which is why the strikes so far have been carefully framed as counter-narcotics operations in international waters rather than an overt attack on the Venezuelan government.’ 

After Trump sent the destroyers to U.S. Southern Command, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro said his country was prepared to respond to any attacks, adding that the move amounted to ‘an extravagant, unjustifiable, immoral and absolutely criminal and bloody threat.’

Following the second strike, Maduro said the incident is part of a larger effort ‘to intimidate and seek regime change’ in Venezuela. The Trump administration has said it does not recognize Maduro as a legitimate head of state, and rather, views him as a leader of a drug cartel.

Meanwhile, members of Congress have cast doubt on whether the strikes the Trump administration approved are even legal in the first place. For example, Sens. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., and Tim Kaine, D-Va., filed a war powers resolution Friday that would block U.S. forces from engaging in ‘hostilities’ against certain non-state organizations. 

‘President Trump has no legal authority to launch strikes or use military force in the Caribbean or elsewhere in the Western Hemisphere. The Administration has refused to provide Congress with basic information about the multiple strikes it has carried out, including who was killed, why it was necessary to put servicemembers’ lives at risk, and why a standard interdiction operation wasn’t conducted,’ Kaine said in a Friday statement. ‘Congress simply cannot let itself be stiff-armed as this Administration continues to flout the law.’

The Senate will be required to consider and vote upon the resolution. 

Even so, the Trump administration has indicated from the beginning that it’s prepared for additional strikes. 

‘Obviously, they won’t be doing it again,’ Trump told reporters in September after the first military strike. ‘And I think a lot of other people won’t be doing it again. When they watch that tape, they’re going to say, ‘Let’s not do this.’ We have to protect our country, and we’re going to. Venezuela has been a very bad actor.’

Likewise, Secretary of War Pete Hegseth signaled the U.S. military would launch future strikes on other drug vessels attempting to smuggle narcotics into the U.S. 

‘We’ve got assets in the air, assets in the water, assets on ships because this is a deadly serious mission for us, and it won’t, it won’t stop with just this strike,’ Hegseth told Fox News in September after the first strike. 

‘Anyone else trafficking in those waters who we know is a designated narco-terrorist will face the same fate,’ Hegseth said.

However, the strikes likely will not continue long term as boat traffic in the region dies down in response to the strikes, according to Bryan Clark, director of the Hudson Institute think tank’s Center for Defense Concepts and Technology.

‘These strikes will probably intensify for a couple weeks and then abate as fewer boats attempt to make the crossing. That is likely the intent of the operation,’ Clark said in a Tuesday email to Fox News Digital. ‘I think it is very unlikely to result in a broader conflict because the Venezuelan government will not want one.’ 

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Iran president accuses US of ‘grave betrayal’ with nuclear strikes in UNGA speech
next post
Top House Dem exposes party’s strategy to blame Republicans for looming government shutdown

related articles

Why a credit freeze isn’t the end of...

February 21, 2026

Trump torches ‘stupid’ AOC’s Munich showing, tees up...

February 21, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: To burnish Trump’s legacy, we need...

February 21, 2026

BROADCAST BIAS: Idea of giving politicians equal time...

February 21, 2026

Israelis keep suitcases packed and ready as Trump...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions, and advocates say...

February 21, 2026

CIA retracts, revises 19 past intelligence assessments deemed...

February 21, 2026

Trump signs off on 10% global tariff, criticizes...

February 21, 2026

EPA scraps Biden coal restrictions as advocates say...

February 21, 2026

US to unveil platform aiming to bypass internet...

February 20, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • Why ‘wardrobing’ retail fraud soars in the summer

    August 8, 2024
  • Jackson defends controversial, fiery SCOTUS dissents as telling people ‘how I feel’

    July 10, 2025
  • House votes for rules to make ousting a speaker more difficult

    January 4, 2025
  • House Weaponization panel releases 17,000-page report exposing ‘two-tiered system of government’

    December 20, 2024
  • Cruz demands impeachment of Boasberg and judge who sentenced Kavanaugh’s attempted assassin

    January 8, 2026

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (8,023)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (979)

Latest Posts

  • Long AER: AerCap Defends Key Support at $100, Bullish Momentum Builds After Strong Earnings Beat

    March 3, 2025
  • io.net and NetMind.AI partner to boost AI and machine learning capabilities

    August 12, 2024
  • The 2024 Republican National Convention: What to know

    July 14, 2024

Recent Posts

  • Turning Point USA elects Erika Kirk as new CEO, chair of the board following Charlie Kirk’s assassination

    September 18, 2025
  • Treasury ends enforcement of business ownership database meant to stop shell company formation

    March 3, 2025
  • Hamas ‘serious’ about reaching ceasefire agreement but insists on long-standing demands

    July 2, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • White House says ‘range of options,’ including US military, on table as Trump renews push to acquire Greenland

    January 6, 2026
  • Lawmakers react to stopgap funding and averting government shutdown

    December 21, 2024
  • Repeat offender labeled ‘danger to the community’ walks free after Biden autopen clemency

    February 20, 2026
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock