• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

3 key takeaways from Trump’s push to put US oil firms back in Venezuela

by January 5, 2026
written by January 5, 2026

Following the dramatic capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, the United States is now positioned to exert significant influence over the future of the world’s largest oil reserves.

What President Donald Trump does next could reshape Venezuela’s energy industry, alter global oil flows and redefine the balance of influence among major powers long invested in the country’s crude.

Here are three key takeaways:

1. Venezuela holds massive oil reserves, but production remains severely constrained

Venezuela, a country almost twice the size of California, sits atop extraordinary wealth. 

With more than 300 billion barrels of proven oil reserves, Venezuela holds more crude than established energy heavyweights like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Kuwait. The Latin American country’s reserves are nearly quadruple those of the United States.

Once a major oil producer, the country pumped about 3.5 million barrels a day in the late 1990s. Since then, its oil industry has sharply deteriorated, with production falling to roughly 800,000 barrels a day, according to energy analytics firm Kpler.

A key reason: much of Venezuela’s oil is difficult and expensive to extract.

The country’s reserves are dominated by heavy and extra-heavy crude, which is costly to extract and relies on specialized equipment and refining capacity that have deteriorated after years of underinvestment, U.S. sanctions and political instability.

Similar dynamics have unfolded in countries such as Iran and Libya, where turmoil, financial distress and crumbling infrastructure have kept vast reserves locked underground.

As a result, scaling operations back up would require significant time, capital and technical expertise, with any production increase likely to be gradual rather than immediate.

2. Political risk remains a major concern for American energy companies

Decades of political instability, shifting regulations and U.S. sanctions have made Venezuela a high-risk environment for long-term investment. 

That risk dates back to the mid-2000s, when then-President Hugo Chávez reshaped Venezuela’s relationship with international energy companies by tightening state control over the oil industry.

Between 2004 and 2007, Chávez forced foreign companies to renegotiate their contracts with the government. The new terms sharply reduced the role and profits of private firms while strengthening Venezuela’s state-owned oil company, Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA).

The move drove some of the world’s largest oil companies out of the country.

ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips exited Venezuela in 2007 and later filed claims against the government in international arbitration courts. Those courts ultimately ruled in favor of the companies, ordering Venezuela to pay ConocoPhillips more than $10 billion and ExxonMobil more than $1 billion. The cash-strapped country has paid only a fraction of those awards.

That history looms over Trump’s latest proposal.

Trump said on Saturday he would seek to revive the once-prominent commodity by mobilizing investment from major U.S. energy companies.

‘We are going to have our very large United States oil companies go in, spend billions of dollars, fix the badly broken oil infrastructure and start making money for the country,’ Trump said during a news conference at Mar-a-Lago. 

It remains unclear whether U.S. energy companies are prepared to do so. American firms have yet to say whether they plan to return to Venezuela to resurrect an oil industry hollowed out by years of neglect.

Chevron, the only U.S. oil titan operating in Venezuela, said in a statement to Fox News Digital that it was following ‘relevant laws and regulations.’

‘Chevron remains focused on the safety and well-being of our employees, as well as the integrity of our assets,’ a Chevron spokesperson added.

ConocoPhillips wrote in a statement to Fox News Digital that it is monitoring the developments in Venezuela as well as the ‘potential implications for global energy supply and stability.’ 

‘It would be premature to speculate on any future business activities or investments,’ a spokesperson for ConocoPhillips added.

ExxonMobil, the largest U.S. oil company, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

3. The push reflects a broader effort to leverage energy for geopolitical influence

As U.S. and European companies withdrew from Venezuela, Russia, China and Iran expanded their footprint in the country’s energy sector, using financing, fuel shipments and technical support to maintain influence.

That shift has also reshaped how Venezuelan oil is traded. Sanctions have fueled the rise of so-called ‘ghost ships,’ nondescript oil tankers that disable tracking systems to quietly move Venezuelan crude to foreign buyers outside traditional markets. The opaque trade has reduced transparency in global oil flows while helping Caracas sustain exports despite financial isolation.

For the Trump administration, the outcome has underscored an uncomfortable trade-off: restricting access to U.S. markets can limit revenue for sanctioned governments, but it can also push them deeper into the orbit of strategic rivals, turning energy policy into a front line of geopolitical competition.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Trump signs ‘Make Iran Great Again’ hat alongside Lindsey Graham
next post
Kaine tells Congress to ‘get its a– off the couch,’ reclaim war powers

related articles

US nuclear testing debate reignites after State Dept...

February 17, 2026

DHS shutdown drags into 4th day as Senate...

February 17, 2026

Rev Jesse Jackson, civil rights leader and Rainbow...

February 17, 2026

LIZ PEEK: At Munich showdown AOC serves word...

February 17, 2026

GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter...

February 17, 2026

Thune guarantees voter ID bill to hit the...

February 17, 2026

Tom Emmer blasts Democrats’ double standard on SAVE...

February 17, 2026

Rubio shines on global stage while AOC, Whitmer,...

February 16, 2026

RNC mocks ‘Forget someone again??’ after Dems’ Presidents...

February 16, 2026

Ukraine’s Zelenskyy says he met with Democratic senators,...

February 16, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • Israel considers preemptive strike on Iran as tensions escalate: report

    August 5, 2024
  • Harris admits Biden ‘got tired,’ denies ‘conspiracy’ to hide mental decline

    September 10, 2025
  • Nigeria admits more than 160 Christians kidnapped as Trump calls for coordinated terror fight

    January 21, 2026
  • CIA director was in Venezuela to meet with acting President Delcy Rodríguez, official says

    January 16, 2026
  • Trump to meet with American ballerina freed from Russian prison

    May 5, 2025

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (7,952)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (976)

Latest Posts

  • Biden, Trump both rip DOJ after president pardons Hunter

    December 3, 2024
  • Speaker Johnson flips script on Dem leaders with staunch warning against government shutdown

    September 25, 2025
  • Trump heralds ‘golden age of the Middle East’ in address to Israeli Knesset hours after hostages come home

    October 13, 2025

Recent Posts

  • ai.com debuts autonomous AI agents for mainstream consumer use

    February 7, 2026
  • Asian stocks wobbly on Thursday: Nikkei down 1%, Hang Seng flat

    January 9, 2025
  • Iranian woman strips down in anti-hijab protest following vicious assault by regime militia

    November 3, 2024

Editor’s Pick

  • Plummeting stock, boycotts and flagging sales: What’s fueling turmoil for Tesla?

    March 18, 2025
  • Republican uses George Washington, American Revolution to reject notion Ukraine should surrender to Russia

    April 17, 2025
  • White House considers cash rewards for Gazans aiding search for slain hostages

    October 16, 2025
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock