• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Trump admin asks Boasberg for more time to detail CECOT plans after Maduro ouster

by January 5, 2026
written by January 5, 2026

Lawyers for the Trump administration asked a federal judge for additional time this week to detail its plans to provide due process for nearly 150 Venezuelan migrants that it deported to the Salvadoran CECOT prison in March, citing the removal of Nicolás Maduro, the Venezuelan leader who was captured by U.S. troops during a surprise raid in Caracas. 

In the motion for an extension, submitted to U.S. District Judge James Boasberg, lawyers for the Justice Department cited the ‘substantial changes on the ground in Venezuela’ and the ‘fluid nature of the unfolding situation’ in the wake of the U.S. capture of Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores.

They requested an additional seven days to comply with the court’s order.

Boasberg, in response, told the Justice Department in a minute order that it had not complied with a local court rule requiring defendants in a civil case to first notify opposing counsel before asking the court for a delay – leaving the matter temporarily unresolved.

The update comes after months of tension-filled status hearings between lawyers for the Trump administration and lawyers for the 252 Venezuelan migrants who were deported to El Salvador’s CECOT prison in March under the Alien Enemies Act, a 1798 immigration law, despite an emergency court order that sought to block the administration from immediately using the law to quickly remove certain migrants. 

The status of the migrants, who were removed again to Venezuela from CECOT in July as part of a prisoner exchange, further complicated the case. 

The exchange and U.S. involvement appeared to indicate at least some level of constructive custody of the migrants, as the court observed, prompting additional status hearings in the case. It also made it more difficult for lawyers representing the plaintiffs to track down all 252 CECOT migrants, some of whom had fled Venezuela due to persecution in their home country, and who have since remained in hiding.

The Trump administration proceeded with the deportation flights, kicking off a complex legal fight over the status of the migrants, the U.S. ability to facilitate their return – or at least to provide the migrants with due process protections – and an ability to challenge their alleged gang member status. 

Trump officials had argued that the people deported to CECOT were members of the violent Venezuelan Tren de Aragua gang, though the evidence they used to justify their designations has been disputed in many cases, and in many cases determined to be lacking. 

Since March, Boasberg has attempted to determine the status of the hundreds of CECOT plaintiffs, what ability the U.S. has to facilitate their return, or to provide the class of migrants with due process and habeas protections, including the ability to challenge their alleged gang status.

Last month, Boasberg ordered the Trump administration to submit to the court in writing its plans to provide due process to a class of Venezuelan migrants deported to El Salvador. 

He said the Justice Department must submit to the court by Jan. 5 its plan to provide due process protections to the CECOT class – which he said the Trump administration could do by either returning the migrants to the U.S. to have their cases heard in person – or to otherwise facilitate hearings abroad with members of the class that ‘satisfy the requirements of due process.’

‘On the merits, the Court concludes that this class was denied their due-process rights and will thus require the Government to facilitate their ability to obtain such a hearing,’ Boasberg said at the time. ‘Our law requires no less.’

The Justice Department’s request for a seven-day extension did not challenge the underlying merits of the order. Instead, they cited only the changing circumstances on the ground in Venezuela, which they said necessitate the additional time.

‘Over the weekend, the United States apprehended Nicolás Maduro,’ lawyers for the Justice Department said in their request for additional time. ‘As a result, the situation on the ground in Venezuela has changed dramatically. Defendants thus need additional time to determine the feasibility of various proposals,’ they added. 

‘Defendants therefore request a 7-day extension to evaluate and determine what remedies are possible.’

Boasberg responded in a terse minute order, noting only that the Justice Department’s request ‘fails to comply’ with the local rule in question, which requires parties to first confer with opposing counsel. He ordered the DOJ to file the relevant notice to opposing counsel by the end of the day. 

The update further stalls an ongoing court inquiry that has been on ice for months as the result of appeals court rulings, efforts to shield certain information from the court for national security purposes, and a separate, but related, contempt inquiry.

The CECOT migrants were again moved in July from the Salvadoran prison to Venezuela, as part of a broader prisoner exchange that involved the return of at least 10 Americans detained in Venezuela. 

Their role in the prisoner exchange further complicated efforts to ascertain the status of the CECOT class plaintiffs, including some migrants who had fled Venezuela in the first place due to fears of persecution, including from gangs.

That has made it difficult to contact the migrants from the CECOT class and determine how many of them still wished to proceed with their due process cases, as ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt, the lawyer representing the plaintiffs, previously told Boasberg in court. 

Some of them remain in hiding, Gelernt said, further complicating efforts to make contact.

The ACLU lawyers told the court in December that, of the 252 Venezuelan migrants that were deported in March to CECOT, 137 still wish to move forward with their due process cases.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Walz decision to exit governor race intensifies calls from GOP lawmakers for his resignation: ‘Easy way out’
next post
Switzerland imposes 4-year asset freeze linked to Maduro, associates following Venezuelan leader’s capture

related articles

GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter...

February 17, 2026

Thune guarantees voter ID bill to hit the...

February 17, 2026

Tom Emmer blasts Democrats’ double standard on SAVE...

February 17, 2026

Rubio shines on global stage while AOC, Whitmer,...

February 16, 2026

RNC mocks ‘Forget someone again??’ after Dems’ Presidents...

February 16, 2026

Ukraine’s Zelenskyy says he met with Democratic senators,...

February 16, 2026

GOP lawmaker joins Democrat-led effort to limit Trump’s...

February 16, 2026

NAACP asks judge to limit how feds use...

February 16, 2026

Schumer pushes bill to give Pride flag same...

February 16, 2026

Rubio seals civil nuclear cooperation agreement with Hungary

February 16, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • Lori Chavez-DeRemer: The little-known Trump nominee who may need to rely on Dems to cross finish line

    February 11, 2025
  • Broadcom stock plunges 6% today: is the AI trade cracking?

    February 4, 2026
  • Justice Jackson accuses Supreme Court of ensuring Trump ‘always wins’ in scathing dissent

    August 22, 2025
  • Randall Terry on destroying the Democratic Party: ‘I’m running to be margin of defeat … in the swing states’

    August 21, 2024
  • As Tesla shares struggle in 2025, short sellers pocket $11.5B in profits

    April 22, 2025

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (7,948)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (976)

Latest Posts

  • Self-described ‘unapologetic supporter of Israel’ John Fetterman weighs in as Trump seeks to broker peace deal

    October 6, 2025
  • Explained: What’s the reason for global stock sell-off and who’s to blame?

    August 5, 2024
  • US consumer sentiment rises in January, though worries over prices, jobs persist

    January 26, 2026

Recent Posts

  • What Trump and an LA dive bar share is what Kamala Harris desperately needs

    August 3, 2024
  • Biden top adviser Anita Dunn leaves White House for super PAC supporting Harris

    July 30, 2024
  • Oracle stock remains under pressure, but this analyst sees the stock climbing around 100%

    December 16, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • Senate mulls next steps after dueling Obamacare fixes go up in flames

    December 12, 2025
  • Trump to skip federal court hearing Thursday, plead not guilty to charges in Jack Smith’s election case

    September 5, 2024
  • Meta achieves historic 16-day rally: a Nasdaq first in decades

    February 12, 2025
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock