• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Rubio says US has no plan to use force in Venezuela — but warns ‘imminent threat’ could change that

by January 28, 2026
written by January 28, 2026

The U.S. is not preparing to utilize additional military force in Venezuela, but won’t hesitate to employ such force in the event of an ‘imminent threat,’ according to Secretary of State Marco Rubio. 

‘The president never rules out his options as commander-in-chief to protect the national interest of the United States,’ Rubio told lawmakers on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Wednesday. ‘I can tell you right now with full certainty, we are not postured to, nor do we intend or expect to have to take any military action in Venezuela at any time. The only military presence you will see in Venezuela is our Marine guards at an embassy.’ 

That said, Rubio said that certain events could warrant military actions — pointing to a hypothetical scenario where an Iranian drone factory emerged in the region and threatened U.S. presence or allies there. 

‘The president does reserve the option in self-defense to eliminate that threat,’ Rubio said. ‘We don’t see that, we don’t anticipate that, but it could happen. We hope not … But I think it would require the emergence of an imminent threat of the kind that we do not anticipate at this time.’ 

Rubio’s remarks came in response to questions about his prepared statement, which said that the U.S. is prepared to exert military force to ensure cooperation from Venezuela’s interim government if it defies Washington following the ouster of dictator Nicolás Maduro. 

‘We are prepared to use force to ensure maximum cooperation if other methods fail,’ Rubio’s prepared testimony had said, which he ultimately did not end up using. ‘It is our hope that this will not prove necessary, but we will never shy away from our duty to the American people and our mission in this hemisphere.’

Rubio’s prepared testimony also maintained that there are no U.S. troops in Venezuela, and that the operation did not amount to waging a war in Caracas.

‘There is no war against Venezuela, and we did not occupy a country,’ Rubio said in his prepared remarks. ‘There are no U.S. troops on the ground. This was an operation to aid law enforcement.’

The move to ouster Maduro has attracted scrutiny, mostly from Democrats, who have called into question the legality of the operation in Venezuela, which was conducted without Congress’ approval. 

But efforts in Congress to pass a war powers resolution that would have limited the Trump administration from conducting additional military action in Venezuela failed to pass earlier in January. Rubio previously has claimed Congressional approval wasn’t required because the operation was not an ‘invasion.’

On Wednesday, Rubio said that should U.S. military forces be involved in Venezuela in a ‘sustained’ way, Congress would receive notification 48-hours after the fact, and would be required to receive Congressional approval if the engagement lasted longer than 60 days. 

Rubio also told lawmakers that Congress wasn’t consulted about the potential raid due to concerns from the Department of War about leaks, and because it wasn’t even a possibility to execute such a mission until late December 2025 after all negotiation efforts with Maduro had failed. 

‘It was also a trigger-based operation. It may never have happened,’ Rubio said. ‘It required a number of factors to all align at the right place, at the right time, in a very limited window, and it wasn’t even clear if it was ever going to be possible.’ 

On Jan. 3, President Donald Trump announced that U.S. special forces had executed a ‘large-scale strike’ against Caracas, Venezuela, and seized Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. The two were transported to New York and appeared in a Manhattan federal court Jan. 5 on drug charges, where they each pleaded not guilty.

The raid followed months of pressure on Venezuela to squeeze out Maduro amid more than two dozen strikes in Latin American waters against alleged drug traffickers — which the Trump administration claimed aligned with Trump’s effort to curb the influx of drugs into the U.S.

Since Maduro’s capture, the U.S. has conducted at least one additional strike against alleged drug trafficking vessels in the region. 

The Trump administration had previously asserted that it did not recognize Maduro as a legitimate head of state and instead, claimed he was the leader of a drug cartel. Additionally, Trump said in December 2025, shortly before the operation, that he believed it would be ‘smart’ for Maduro to step down.

The Trump administration has so far backed Maduro’s vice president, Delcy Rodríguez, to lead Venezuela’s interim government. 

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Combined war casualties for Russia and Ukraine could hit 2 million, new report warns
next post
Europe bulletin: Starmer courts China, ASML surges on AI, Germany’s growth stalls

related articles

Mike Lee calls Schumer’s ‘Jim Crow 2.0’ attack...

February 18, 2026

Inside world’s top science society’s convention bashing Trump,...

February 18, 2026

How did Jeffrey Epstein get rich? Meet Les...

February 18, 2026

Mark Kelly eyes 2028 White House run while...

February 17, 2026

House GOP’s razor-thin majority threatens to grind Trump’s...

February 17, 2026

Schumer, Dems’ goal is to ‘tie people down’...

February 17, 2026

Russia sentences American to 4 years for allegedly...

February 17, 2026

Psaki joins Democrat push for Epstein files after...

February 17, 2026

Iran signals nuclear progress in Geneva as Trump...

February 17, 2026

Trump hammers AOC Munich stumbles as ‘not a...

February 17, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • Partial government shutdown drags on as DHS funding talks stall

    February 16, 2026
  • ‘Not fit to serve’: Speaker Johnson leads GOP demands for Biden to resign from presidency

    July 21, 2024
  • Senate to debate Trump’s $9B clawback bill after dramatic late-night votes

    July 16, 2025
  • Schumer ripped for placing blame on Trump, DOGE for deadly Mexican Navy crash in NYC: ‘He is an idiot’

    May 19, 2025
  • NVIDIA Stock: Why NVDA Could Soar Through 2025

    November 26, 2024

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (7,962)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (976)

Latest Posts

  • Trump goes after Zelenskyy over ‘land swapping’ dispute, lays out ‘feel out meeting’ with Putin

    August 11, 2025
  • Dr. Oz bats back Democratic attempts to paint him as a ‘snake oil’ salesman in Senate hearing

    March 14, 2025
  • Trump picks Virginia official Terry Cole to lead the DEA, vows to ‘save lives’ in new administration

    February 11, 2025

Recent Posts

  • House Republicans worry even Trump can’t save them as tax cuts, budget bill hang in balance

    April 8, 2025
  • Melania Trump says 7 more Ukrainian children reunited with families as part of initiative with Russia

    December 4, 2025
  • New Republican leader Lisa McClain talks messaging ‘playbook’ in the Trump era

    January 23, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • Asian Stocks Plunge Amid Global and US Recession Fears

    August 5, 2024
  • Senate Democrats defy White House warnings, again block GOP bid to reopen government

    October 8, 2025
  • EPA urged to axe funds for ‘radical’ climate project accused of training judges, state AGs rally

    August 26, 2025
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock