• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Trump says he respects Supreme Court’s decision to deny his request to stop sentencing, vows to appeal

by January 10, 2025
written by January 10, 2025

President-elect Donald Trump said he respects the Supreme Court’s decision to deny his request to stop his sentencing in New York v. Trump from moving forward, but said Thursday night he will appeal, while stressing that ‘lawfare’ has been an ‘attack on the Republican Party.’ 

Trump’s comments came just moments after the Supreme Court denied Trump’s emergency petition to block his sentencing from taking place on Friday, Jan. 10. The sentencing was scheduled by New York Judge Juan Merchan. 

Merchan, last week, said he would not sentence the president-elect to prison, but rather issue a sentence of an ‘unconditional discharge,’ which means there would be no punishment imposed. 

‘I’m the first president and probably one of the first candidates in history that’s under attack with a gag order where I’m not allowed to speak about something,’ Trump said during a meeting at Mar-a-Lago Thursday night with Republican governors. ‘This is a long way from finished and I respect the court’s opinion.’ 

Trump said he thought the court’s ruling was a ‘very good opinion for us,’ noting that the justices ‘invited the appeal.’ 

‘We’ll see how it all works out,’ he said. ‘I think it’s going to work out well.’ 

But Trump reflected on the ‘lawfare’ that he has been victim of, saying that it ‘was an attack on the Republican Party.’ 

‘This was an attack on the Republican candidate who just won an election by record numbers—the highest number of Republican votes by far ever gotten, and we won all the swing states, we won the popular vote by millions of people,’ he said. ‘They tried to stop that from happening—they tried to stop this election from happening or to bloody somebody up so badly they couldn’t win.’ 

Trump said that ‘the people got it and we won by the largest number.’ 

Trump filed an emergency petition to the U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday in an effort to prevent his Jan. 10 sentencing, scheduled by Judge Juan Merchan, from taking place. 

‘The application for stay presented to Justice Sotomayor and by her referred to the Court is denied for, inter alia, the following reasons. First, the alleged evidentiary violations at President-Elect Trump’s state-court trial can be addressed in the ordinary course on appeal,’ the order states. 

‘Second, the burden that sentencing will impose on the President-Elect’s responsibilities is relatively insubstantial in light of the trial court’s stated intent to impose a sentence of unconditional discharge’ after a brief virtual hearing,’ the court ruled. 

The order also noted that ‘Justice Thomas, Justice Alito, Justice Gorsuch, and Justice Kavanaugh would grant the application.’ 

Trump needed five votes in order to have his request granted. The note on the order suggests Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Amy Coney Barrett voted with Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, and Katanji Brown Jackson. 

Trump’s sentencing is now expected to move forward, with the president-elect expected to appear virtually for the proceeding, scheduled for 9:30 am Friday. 

Merchan set Trump’s sentencing in New York v. Trump for Jan. 10 after a jury found the now-president-elect guilty of falsifying business records in the first degree, stemming from Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s investigation. Trump pleaded not guilty to all charges and has appealed the ruling but was rejected last week by Merchan. 

Trump will be sworn in as the 47th President of the United States on Jan. 20. 

Trump has maintained his innocence in the case and repeatedly railed against it as an example of ‘lawfare’ promoted by Democrats in an effort to hurt his election efforts ahead of November. 

Related Topics

Donald Trump
Supreme Court

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Trump huddling with Republican governors at Mar-a-Lago dinner
next post
Trump names latest Cabinet picks as Jan. 20 inauguration nears

related articles

Rubio seals civil nuclear cooperation agreement with Hungary

February 16, 2026

Taiwan ‘will not escalate, but will not yield’...

February 16, 2026

Corporate America has decided that DEI needs to...

February 16, 2026

Partial government shutdown drags on as DHS funding...

February 16, 2026

Iran says US must ‘prove they want to...

February 16, 2026

Man who burned Quran in London may get...

February 16, 2026

Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push...

February 15, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a...

February 15, 2026

Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump...

February 15, 2026

Doctors Without Borders reduces operations at Gaza hospital...

February 15, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • Airbus sees aviation boom ahead, global fleet to near 50K by 2044 with India in lead

    June 12, 2025
  • NBA says Amazon will be its new media partner, rebuffing Warner Bros. Discovery

    July 25, 2024
  • Hirono ripped for ‘deranged’ opening confirmation hearing question to Burgum: ‘This lady has issues’

    January 16, 2025
  • SEN LINDSEY GRAHAM: Comey’s FBI investigated me and 8 colleagues in anti-Trump crusade

    October 22, 2025
  • Russia has suffered more casualties in Ukraine war than all other conflicts combined since WWII: Pentagon

    October 10, 2024

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024
  • 5

    Elon and Vivek should tackle US funding for this boondoogle organization and score a multimillion dollar win

    December 4, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (7,939)
  • Investing (1,019)
  • Stock (976)

Latest Posts

  • Rate cuts before the year’s end could make your next trip abroad more expensive

    July 12, 2024
  • Biden takes jab at Trump while applauding Jimmy Carter’s decency, shares fondest memory with late president

    December 30, 2024
  • FORMER VICE PRESIDENT MIKE PENCE: Five years on, the Abraham Accords still point the way to peace

    September 15, 2025

Recent Posts

  • State Department’s ‘Global Engagement Center’ accused of censoring Americans shuts its doors

    December 26, 2024
  • Russia has suffered more casualties in Ukraine war than all other conflicts combined since WWII: Pentagon

    October 10, 2024
  • House Democrats accuse Trump of trying to ‘steal’ $230M from taxpayers through DOJ

    October 28, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • Internal State Dept memo reveals top brass question if feds should be ‘in the business of philanthropy’

    March 5, 2025
  • The history of Gaza amid Trump’s plan to rebuild enclave

    February 5, 2025
  • Customers sue sneaker company On over shoes that cause ‘noisy and embarrassing squeak’

    October 20, 2025
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock