• Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock
Editor's Pick

Iran locks nation into ‘darker’ digital blackout, viewing internet as an ‘existential threat’

by January 19, 2026
written by January 19, 2026

Iran’s internet blackout has hardened into a permanent system of digital repression, with the regime treating citizens’ access to the outside world as an ‘existential threat,’ according to digital rights monitors.

Internet monitoring group NetBlocks reported Monday that Iran’s connectivity landscape had shifted dramatically as the country entered its 22nd day of unrest, following several days of almost total nationwide internet shutdown.

‘On the twenty-second day, after several days of an almost complete internet shutdown, reports emerged of limited and unstable internet connectivity in some parts of the country,’ NetBlocks reported.

‘Indications are that we’re seeing a move toward a kind of ‘filternet plus’ censorship scheme in Iran,’ NetBlocks CEO Alp Toker told Fox News Digital before pointing to ‘a rapid decline into a darker kind of digital darkness.’

‘The key difference from the pre-protest filternet arrangement is that, while internet platforms were extensively censored before, the regime is selectively whitelisting only a handful of services it deems critical for business needs.

‘Even this selective access is sporadic, which means the censorship is likely still in the test phase,’ he added. ‘In practice though, ordinary users remain offline.’

Toker described how the digital darkness ‘is in fact getting darker because the information controls are getting tighter.’

‘Where international links were tolerated as a window to trade, the regime is approaching each of these as potential threats,’ he said before adding that the regime ‘sees its own citizens’ ability to communicate with the rest of the world as an existential threat because the people are disaffected.’

According to the Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) at least 2,571 people were killed as of Monday, with additional deaths reported but not yet fully verified amid the communications blackout.

The internet blackout began Jan. 8 amid escalating demonstrations since Dec. 28, as authorities sought to prevent protesters from organizing, sharing videos of crackdowns and communicating with the outside world.

Since then, connectivity has remained inconsistent, with frequent outages and throttling even when partial access is restored.

Iran International reported the blackout was expected to last until at least late March, with IranWire saying government spokeswoman Fatemeh Mohajerani told media activists that access to international online services would not be restored before Nowruz, the Iranian New Year, on March 20.

‘Having internet access was always a window to the outside and a lifeline for many Iranians,’ Toker added. ‘It allowed for personal expression and culture that is banned by the regime.’

‘These online freedoms can be as simple as online gaming, watching foreign movies or women’s ability to participate equally in spaces that would otherwise be barred by the Islamic Republic,’ he added.

‘With the internet blackout continuing, the curtain has been drawn on that window,’ Toker said. ‘This is angering many Iranians, particularly Gen Z, who stand to lose a part of their identity.’

The blackout has also coincided with cyber incidents targeting Iran’s state infrastructure.

As previously reported by Fox News Digital, anti-regime activists hacked Iran’s national broadcaster, briefly interrupting state television to air protest messages and calls from Reza Pahlavi, the exiled son of Iran’s last shah and a prominent opposition figure.

‘We aren’t able to see the specific hack here,’ Toker explained. ‘The lack of up-to-date security is an issue for Iran.’

‘It is caused directly by the country’s digital isolation,’ he said. ‘Iran’s internet systems are outdated, and security tools aren’t available due to internet restrictions.’

Toker added that embargoes force widespread use of pirated software, which often contains hidden vulnerabilities that can be exploited to breach critical networks.

He said cyber warfare played a major role during the June 2025 clashes between Israel and Iran, prompting the blackout as a defensive measure against digital attacks. Israel, he noted, also restricted parts of its own network at the time.

‘In 2026, we haven’t seen the same focus on cyber incidents, but it’s clear there’s an ongoing battle between state actors as well as individual hackers,’ Toker said.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS
0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
From Caracas to Chicago: Trump’s Article II powers face their biggest tests yet
next post
Denmark ramps up defenses in Greenland as Trump zeros in on control of territory

related articles

Microbiologist one step closer to winning late Democrat’s...

May 20, 2026

Omar breaks silence on alleged fraud connections in...

May 20, 2026

Trump’s endorsement put to the test in Alabama...

May 20, 2026

Trump jolts immigration hawks with surprising defense of...

May 20, 2026

Trump-backed nominees dominate primary contests as president tightens...

May 20, 2026

Mamdani won’t attend Israel Day Parade, breaking decades-long...

May 20, 2026

Squad-endorsed socialist wins heated primary to represent America’s...

May 20, 2026

‘Written in our DNA’: Polish pilots who remember...

May 20, 2026

Newsom’s ‘break the glass’ warning fuels Hilton accusation...

May 20, 2026

Trump-backed senator cruises to primary win, setting up...

May 20, 2026
Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News, And Articles.


Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Latest News

  • German banks assess risks from Anthropic AI model amid cyber concerns

    April 16, 2026
  • Disney debuts its latest cruise ship, Treasure, as part of a plan to double its fleet by 2031

    November 20, 2024
  • Republicans, pro-life advocates split on Trump’s proposal to federally subsidize IVF

    September 3, 2024
  • Clintons cave: Comer says Bill and Hillary to testify in Epstein probe

    February 3, 2026
  • Adobe gains 3% as $25B buyback offsets AI concerns, stock slump

    April 22, 2026

Popular Posts

  • 1

    District judges’ orders blocking Trump agenda face hearing in top Senate committee

    April 2, 2025
  • 2

    Secret Service admits leaning on ‘state and local partners’ after claim it ignored Trump team’s past requests

    July 21, 2024
  • 3

    Five more House Democrats call on Biden to drop out, third US senator

    July 19, 2024
  • 4

    CoreWeave eyes $1.5B bond raise to ease debt load following lacklustre IPO: report

    May 9, 2025
  • 5

    Forex Profit Calculator: Maximize Your Trading Potential

    July 10, 2024

Categories

  • Economy (829)
  • Editor's Pick (8,521)
  • Investing (2,681)
  • Stock (1,028)

Latest Posts

  • Zelenskyy calls for US to respond to ‘signals’ Russia is ‘preparing to make next year a year of war’

    December 18, 2025
  • Canadians panic over ‘American oppression’ after discovering longstanding Google Maps parks designation

    February 25, 2025
  • FTC asks to delay Amazon Prime deceptive practices case, citing staffing shortfalls

    March 12, 2025

Recent Posts

  • Pro-life pregnancy centers see client increase after Supreme Court decision: study

    November 17, 2025
  • Fed Chair Powell says holding rates high for too long could jeopardize economic growth

    July 11, 2024
  • Trump unfurls plans for double 100-foot flagpoles during White House lawn walk

    April 23, 2025

Editor’s Pick

  • Meta achieves historic 16-day rally: a Nasdaq first in decades

    February 12, 2025
  • ‘Legacy of incompetence’: Comer unveils wide-ranging hearing on Biden-Harris ‘failed record’

    September 12, 2024
  • Nvidia stock bucks the market trend to surge around 1.5% after analysts lift target

    February 12, 2026
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions

Disclaimer: moneyrisetoday.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

Copyright © 2025 moneyrisetoday.com | All Rights Reserved

Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Economy
  • Editor’s Pick
Money Rise Today – Investing and Stock News
  • Investing
  • Stock